Utopia – Director, Market and Competitive Intelligence (UK/US/CH/Remote)
WELCOME TO UTOPIA
The music is amazing. He can excite hundreds and unite thousands. But as an industry, it’s been slow, complicated and patchwork. As the world of technology has looked to the future, the music industry continues to be shaped by the inefficient systems of the past. At Utopia, we believe there is a better solution. This is why we are now undertaking to transform the whole industry; create new revenue streams, consolidate data and declutter administration. Unlocking the full potential of the industry by unifying it all in a truly holistic space. Some might call it a utopia.
Surprisingly, so are we. Welcome to Utopia. Where the music lives.
WHAT UTOPIANS DO
The open secret is that the music industry is grappling with the very basics of music accounting: what was played, when and where? Who should be paid and how much?
Utopia Music bridges the data divide by connecting global consumption, accurate metadata, and fast payments to a trusted, industry-wide platform. Our goal is to unlock creative value and enable Fair Pay For Every Play to create a better world for music. The solutions we offer do not threaten to usurp the role of incumbents from the industry – it is about bringing transparency to the industry and supporting effective royalty collection for all.
Utopia Music is looking for a Director for Market Intelligence and Competitive Intelligence.
You will be responsible for the interaction between the strategy and business units to help them decide between and create the right opportunities to win the
market opportunities of the Business Units while contributing to the synergies of Utopia. You will contribute to the planning and execution of the GTM market
winning strategies in detail. You will lead a team to build and understand market changes and dynamics with clarity to help product creation and
The Business Units succeed in their work.
At Utopia Music, you will work alongside a highly skilled international team to build a better music business. You play a central role in building the strategy team as well as collaborating with the product and data teams that shape how we deliver value at Utopia.
- Support the development of medium and long term organizational strategy.
- Support the planning and execution of value creation in partnership with business development and business unit leadership
- Conduct research and analysis on operational efficiency, processes, stakeholders, etc. as part of the Strategy team and MI/CI activities
- Align business unit goals, processes and resource allocation with organizational strategy and synchronize with Utopia family goals
- Assess market trends and competitors with MI/CI
- Identify threats and opportunities
- Present results, projections and recommended actions as part of business unit direction/planning
- Provide clarity, alignment and structure in partnership with business unit leadership on market opportunities and competitors
- Prepare market research project charters, including scope, identification of intelligence specialists, availability of primary and secondary resources, and budget proposal
- Prepare a presentation of market research results
- Act as a liaison with external market research providers
- Help the team implement effective research strategies to map talent movement and talent trends in specific segments of the entertainment industry)
- Collect data on candidates and competitors in the market and create up-to-date org charts and talent maps
- Determine new opportunities and trends in the music technology landscape
- Establish, organize and continually update a database of competitive products and seek access by management
- Maintain awareness of potential sales opportunities and develop BU go-to-market strategy in collaboration with Sales Operations
- Develop and articulate Price-To-Win dialogue, pricing strategy, risk mitigation and competitive landscape with sales operations
- Network and lead industry/customer interactions on similar new products to stay abreast of trends and cycles affecting new business development
- Conduct primary research with industry, financial and economic sources to identify credible market data
- Compile and analyze industry and company specific information and financial statements to gain insight into the latest market trends and movements
- Review quarterly and annual reports, press releases and investor calls from competing companies for strategic insights
- Synthesize numerous and disparate data sources into cohesive, relevant and timely conclusions on key themes impacting the operations of Utopia business units
- Ability to work effectively in a team independently, under tight deadlines
- Good analytical skills, including the ability to draw appropriate conclusions from a large amount of data and present the results
- Ability to find new and innovative ways to acquire market information and develop new strategies to further improve the market information program
- Proven organizational and time management skills are required with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple deadlines simultaneously
- Professional and mature approach with the ability to comfortably interact with all levels, including senior management
- Self-starter who can work independently to manage their own workload with minimal supervision and also effectively within a team
- Degree in business or related field, MBA preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in business administration, management consulting, investment banking or strategic planning
- Experience in music, technology or consulting
- Excellent understanding of business operations and procedures.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Excellent research and analytical skills.
- Project management skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to provide insights based on research data.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Good atmosphere – we live, love and breathe music and technology!
- Work in a team focused on impact and an inclusive company culture.
- An experienced team to learn from, with a proven track record at multiple startups and large tech companies.
- Our flexible remote policy offers utopians the freedom to work either in one of our inspiring offices or from home.
- We celebrate being an international and multicultural company.
- Competitive advantages ; packages are location dependent. You will receive more details about this during the interview process.
THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS
- You send us your CV in English
- We invite you to an introductory video call with the talent acquisition team to get to know you better and share more about us
As we want to bring transparency, trust and clarity to the music industry we serve, we know that change comes from within. Utopia is a transparent, trust-based organization that strives to think clearly and do what we set out to do.
We execute with urgency and innovate to grow faster. We ship things that make a difference today, so we can make them better tomorrow. We embrace fairness and are all responsible.
Strictly diverse and inclusive. We are an equal opportunity employer.
We celebrate our diverse backgrounds and invite anyone who identifies with the above to apply. Welcome to Utopia – Where the music lives!